Your comments are in, the field is set, and it is time to begin the March Madness Super-Animal Showdown.
After some spirited comments here and on Twitter, it quickly became obvious that we had more than sixteen worthy candidates for this tournament, so I have expanded the field to thirty-two super-animals, and added a week to the schedule! I also basically gave up trying to tell the difference between animals, aliens, and furries, finally admitting some to the tourney while excluding others on the very same technicalities! In the end, only cartoon characters (rather than comic book heroes) were automatically excluded.
So it goes!
Now it is up to YOU to prove that bubble-busters like Topo, Titano, and Tufty deserved to take to the floor against the tournament’s top seeds.
YOUR VOTES WILL TELL THE TALE. (Tail?)
Here’s the first round of the March Madness Super-Animal Showdown — VOTING IS NOW OPEN!
It’s dog-eat-dog as #1 Krytpo, a Superman’s best friend, tangles with #32 Max, the Punisher’s pooch!
Fur flies as #16 Zabu, terror of the Savage Land, tears into #17 G’nort, the incompetent Green Lantern!
A dogfight without the dogs as #9 Streaky, Supergirl’s super cat, gets into a furball with #24 Redwing, the Falcon’s loyal falcon!
No horsing around as #8 Comet, Supergirl’s super horse, saddles up to fight #25 Monsieur Mallah, the French-talking super-ape!
Trapped in a bracket he never made, #4 Howard the Duck takes on #29 Hoppy the Marvel Rabbit, the oldest of old school funny animals!
Someone is bound to croak when #13 Throg, Walt Simonson’s thunder frog, battles #20 Cosmo, the psychic Russian space dog!
Monkey business beneath the sea as #12 Beppo the Super Monkey rumbles with #21 Storm, Aquaman’s loyal seahorse!
We go ape as #5 Gorilla Grodd, evil simian super-criminal, wrestles with #28 Ch’p, the Lantern with the bushy tail!
Massive overkill in the offing as #2 Rocket Raccoon fires all his guns at once at #31 Tawky Tawny, the urbane Indian tiger-man!
I have no clue who will win between #15 Detective Chimp, world’s smartest detective (simian division) and #18 Captain Carrot, erstwhile leader of the amazing Zoo Crew!
Invertebrate bragging rights are on the line as #10 Mr. Mind, the evil Venusian worm, wrestles #23 Topo, Aquaman’s squirmy octopus pal!
It’s a match worthy of Skull Island as #7 Devil Dinosaur & Moon Boy battle #26 Titano, the super-ape with the Kryptonite eyes!
It looks like no contest as #3 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (all four of them!) pile on #30 Dr. Canus, the erudite dog doctor of Earth A.D.!
We don’t know what the hell he is, but we couldn’t keep #14 Proty out of the tournament, but he will have his psuedopods full as he takes on #19 The Spectacular Spider-Ham!
Someone is a lock to advance to the next round as #11 Lockjaw, the Inhuman hound, wurfs it up with #22 Lockheed, Kitty Pryde’s purple dragon sidekick!
It’s the masked dog Gotham needs in #6, Ace the Bat-Hound, taking on #27 Prince Tuftan, Kamandi’s tiger man friend!
And here is how the whole grid shapes up!
All right … get voting for your favorites! Only one critter can survive from each contest. You have one week to cast your vote. Vote early, and comment often! Let’s hear some trash talk in the comments section, below …
… and then meet me back here next week as we advance to the Round of 16!
- March 23: The Round of 16
- March 30: Elite Eight
- April 6: Final Four
- April 13: Championship!
Tell your friends!
(and for more Super-Animal Showdown fun, be sure to check out Between The Pages Blog, for comics … and cakes! … featuring Krypto and Streaky!)
March means the NCAA Basketball Tournament here in the United States, but more important for loyal Longbox Graveyard readers, it also marks the return of comic book March Madness!
Last year we matched great comic book second bananas in a sixteen-sidekick superhero tournament, with Bucky Barnes coming from behind to defeat Robin in the final!
This year, we’re going primal, with sixteen comic book critters facing off in the March Madness Super-Animal Showdown!
The guidelines for a character’s inclusion in the tournament are simple:
- They must be an animal.
- They must be super.
- They must make their first appearance in a comic book.
Working from this criteria, the March Madness Super-Animal Showdown Committee (me) offers the following preliminary list and seeds:
- Rocket Raccoon: Furious and furry star of The Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Krypto: Superboy’s loyal space hound.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: All four for the price of one entry!
- Howard The Duck: Trapped in tournament he never made.
- Gorilla Grodd: The Flash’s simian arch-enemy.
- Ace The Bat Hound: Batman’s redacted pet.
- Lockjaw: Wurf.
- Comet: Supergirl’s flying horse!
- Streaky: Supergirl’s flying cat!
- Lockheed: Kitty Pryde’s dragon companion.
- Throg: The Frog of Thunder!
- Redwing: The Falcon’s … uh … falcon!
- The Spectacular Spider-Ham: Puntastic Spidey simulacrum.
- Proty: All versions of the Legion’s protoplasmic pal.
- Captain Carrot: Leader of the Zoo Crew.
- Cosmo: Space dog and Rocket Raccoon’s arch-rival!
- Detective Chimp: World’s Greatest Chimp Detective.
- Beppo: Last monkey of Krypton.
- Storm: Aquaman’s Seahorse!
You will notice that the last three names on this list are in italics … this is because the field for the March Madness Super-Animal Showdown is limited to sixteen entries! As of this hour, Detective Chimp, Beppo, and Storm are on the outside looking in …
… unless YOU DEMAND OTHERWISE!
The floor is now open to argue over the field for the March Madness Super-Animal Showdown! Post your opinions, in the comments section, below:
- Think Beppo, Storm, or Detective Chimp belongs in the field? Tell me who they replace!
- Have I overlooked a worthy candidate? How about Devil Dinosaur? Maybe Aquaman’s giant octopus pal, Topo? Sound off!
- Do you take issue with my seeding? Tell me why Rocket shouldn’t be #1, or why Gorilla Grodd doesn’t deserve the nod at #5.
The official bracket of sixteen — and our first round of voting — will appear here on Monday, March 16th. That gives you one week to help me improve our bracket, after which … may the best Super-Animal win!
Here is the schedule for the entire March Madness Super-Animal Tournament:
- March 9: Selection Monday
- March 16: The Round of Sixteen
- March 23: Elite Eight
- March 30: Final Four
- April 6: Championship!
All right … get commenting!