Welcome To The Wonderful World Of Cosmics
This week’s F.O.O.M. Friday rockets ahead to F.O.O.M. #9, with a Jim Starlin cover and a subject focus that blew my twelve-year-old mind back in 1974.
I liked Silver Surfer and (especially) Captain Marvel before receiving this issue of Marvel’s in-house fan magazine, but it was the first time I thought of these characters as belonging to a specific genre.
The mag even coined a term for this new comics genre with a clever bit of wordplay:
I loved thinking of these stories as “cosmics,” rather than “comics” — it made the stories seem so much bigger, and more consequential. This clever bit of branding helped bind me to Marvel’s cosmic heroes for decades to come … and it is an obsession that continues to this day, as one look at this list of the many “cosmic” subjects I’ve tackled here at Longbox Graveyard will attest!
- #2 The Micronauts: They came from inner Space!
- #11 Captain Not-So-Marvelous: Go Cosmic with Jim Starlin’s Captain Marvel!
- #21 Warlock: Jim Starlin’s 1970s outer space superhero epic!
- #25 This Female Fights Back!: Ms. Marvel deserved better!
- #27 Silver Age Gold: How the Silver Surfer is like a Broadway musical.
- #46 Avengers — Kree/Skrull War: Remember your superhero history!
- #53 Thanos & The Infinity Gauntlet: Killing half the universe for grins.
- #59 Killraven’s War of the Worlds: 1973 — A Space Oddity!
- #79 Out Of The Holocaust … A Hero!: Mar-Vell deserves your respect.
- #86 Star-Lord: The black & white original, warts and all!
- #93 Guardians of the Galaxy: Superheroes in Spaaaaace!
- #110 The Power And The Prize! The Silver Surfer confronts … Satan?
The articles in this particular issue of F.O.O.M. weren’t especially memorable, but that cover is as fresh today as when I plucked it from my mailbox almost forty years ago. Yeesh! I’m getting as old as The Watcher!
See you back here next week for another F.O.O.M. Friday!
- When Words Collide – One Last “Gødland” Conversation with Joe Casey (comicbookresources.com)
- Cosmic, Baby, Cosmic: Jim Starlin’s Thanos Saga, Part One (dorkforty.wordpress.com)
- Thanos the mad titan and the greaest marvel super villain of all time (groovyawesome.wordpress.com)
- Marvel Now! – To INFINITY!!!! (and beyond!) A timeline leading up to Marvel’s Infinity (whatchareading.com)
- COMICS: Blue Marvel, Skrulls, Inhumans, Silver Surfer And More Teased For Marvel’s INFINITY (comicbookmovie.com)
- Jim Starlin: The Architect of Marvels Infinite (nothingbutcomics.wordpress.com)
- Heavy, Man, Heavy: Jim Starlin’s Thanos Saga, Part Two (dorkforty.wordpress.com)
- Jim Starlin Teases New Thanos Project (comicbooked.com)
- Adam Warlock. Thanos. Magus. 1970s Jim Starlin. Be there. – Warlock #10 (blogintomystery.com)
- Starlin Teases 100-Page Thanos Project for Summer 2014 (comicbookresources.com)
Posted on December 27, 2013, in FOOM Friday! and tagged Captain Marvel, Cosmic, F.O.O.M., Jim Starlin, Marvel Comics, Silver Surfer, Warlock. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment