Two weeks ago Super Tuesday looked at a house ad for a collection of Marvel Comics that presumably weren’t doing so well, sales-wise, and today we have an ad for another book that was never the top-of-the heap for the House of Ideas. This ad promotes Master of Kung Fu, which in 1978 was in the middle of what would eventually be a 109-issue run. The best and longest-running of Marvel’s martial arts comics, this series would be blessed by distinguished runs from superior artists through it’s relatively brief existence. This ad showcases the work of Mike Zeck, but MoKF fans will happily get into a swirling debate of flying fists and feet if you want to try ranking the book’s best artists between Zeck, Gene Day, and Paul Gulacy.
I love them all — and I love Master of Kung Fu, too. I’m nearing eighteen months of continual publication for Longbox Graveyard and have yet to assess Master of Kung Fu … an oversight I will correct tomorrow, with the first of what I hope will be several columns on this seminal and largely-forgotten series. See you then!
TOMORROW AT LONGBOX GRAVEYARD: Master of Kung Fu: Snowbuster!
- Super Tuesday: Rage Cage! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: No Girls Allowed! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: Greetings, Culture Lovers! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: What’s Wrong With This Picture? (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: Super-Hero Explosion! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: We Hate H.E.R.B.I.E.! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- #63 Marvel Two-In-One Times One Hundred (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: Not Brand Echh! (longboxgraveyard.com)