This week’s advertising blast-from-the-past is for Marvel Fun And Games Magazine, which ran thirteen issues from 1979 to 1980. While this was a harmless line extension for Marvel, I remember being vaguely uneasy seeing this ad. In 1980 I was eighteen years old, and ads like this reminded me that comic books were “kid stuff.”
Now, of course, I’ve grown completely comfortable with my love of childish things, and this ad just inspires a warm glow of nostalgia. Plus, now I know the “What’s Missing” page really “turned on” Spider-Woman! Who knows when that might come in handy!
The Joker might disagree that this mag was “the most fun you’ll ever have with a pencil,” though.
Did anyone ever while away a long car trip puzzling out a Wordweb ™? If so, please tell me what the hell a Wordweb ™ actually was in comments, below!
TOMORROW AT LONGBOX GRAVEYARD: Guide To Comics Bargains On eBay
- Super Tuesday: No Girls Allowed! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: Rage Cage! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- Super Tuesday: Greetings, Culture Lovers! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- The Third Longbox Graveyard Podcast Is Here! (longboxgraveyard.com)
- The First Longbox Graveyard Podcast Is Here! (longboxgraveyard.com)